Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

Asp.Net Programming

Listbox populate with session value


Iam fairly new to .net programming. I have a listbox with multi-select
option. If page not postback, i do the data binding. On selection of values,
i save it in a session varible as this is used my couple of other pages. When
i traverse from the main page(where list box is created) to the sub pages and
come back , the value is lost and i do not have selected in the list box. Can
anyone please tell me what iam missing. I still have the values in the
session variable.
thanks in advance.
On Jun 5, 7:27 pm, Smita <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Iam fairly new to .net programming. I have a listbox with multi-select
> option. If page not postback, i do the data binding. On selection of values,
> i save it in a session varible as this is used my couple of other pages. When
> i traverse from the main page(where list box is created) to the sub pages and
> come back , the value is lost and i do not have selected in the list box. Can
> anyone please tell me what iam missing. I still have the values in the
> session variable.
> thanks in advance.

You should select the value of the list again.

ListBox.Items.FindByValue(Session["MyListValue"].ToString()).Selected
= true;

-----------------------------------------------Reply-----------------------------------------------

Selection will be maintained only within the same page postback (of course,
view state should have been enabled) not across page navigations.

On Jun 6, 11:11 am, Siva M <shiva@online.excite.com> wrote:

> Selection will be maintained only within the same page postback (of course,
> view state should have been enabled) not across page navigations.

He used a Session object, not a ViewState.

-----------------------------------------------Reply-----------------------------------------------
The Selected value is only available from ViewState on the same page. You are
navigating to different pages and then coming back.

You need to store the selected value index in session also, and restore it
say, in your Page_Load handler.
Peter

Site:  http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:  http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short urls & more:    http://ittyurl.net

Smita,
Try enabling view state for the listbox control.  This will maintain your
values, even with postback. As long as you do not reload the page.

Rick D.
Contractor

On Jun 6, 4:21 pm, dbgrick <dbgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Smita,
> Try enabling view state for the listbox control.  This will maintain your
> values, even with postback. As long as you do not reload the page.

> Rick D.
> Contractor

Rick.... the view state doesn't help - "When i traverse from the main
page(where list box is created) to the sub pages and
come back , the value is lost"
Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc