Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

C++ Programming

How protect executable by resource editing?


Hi!
I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
possible?

Thanks.

On 5 28 , 7 44 , "ovatta" <ova@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi!
> I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
> The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
> I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
> resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

> How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
> possible?

> Thanks.

You can encrypt the personal details and put the encrypted string into
executable. You program then decrypt the encrypted information when
need.
On 28 Maj, 13:44, "ovatta" <ova@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi!
> I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
> The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
> I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
> resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

> How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
> possible?

Calculate a checksum of the program that is checked in all/most
functions in the DLL and if the checksum does not match then crash the
program.

Seriously though, why would you worry about that? I find it less than
likely that someone would actually try to steal your work and pass it
of as their own (I assume here that by personal information you mean
copyright information, if it's something else it should not be in the
file to start with).

--
Erik Wikstrm

"Erik Wikstrm" <eri@student.chalmers.se> wrote in...On 28 Maj, 13:44,

"ovatta" <ova@libero.it> wrote:
>Calculate a checksum of the program that is checked in all/most
>functions in the DLL and if the checksum does not match then crash the
>program.

Thanks! This is a great idea!! Now I try it!! Thanks so much!

>Seriously though, why would you worry about that? I find it less than
>likely that someone would actually try to steal your work and pass it
>of as their own (I assume here that by personal information you mean
>copyright information, if it's something else it should not be in the
>file to start with).

Yes, this is my foible. But shortly I would like to put my programs on
internet, how free programs, and my only  request is that my programs remain
unchanged.

Thank for your help!

Don't waste your time "protecting" against this. Focus on the fact that
the honest users will honor your request to not change things. The
honest users are the majority.

The *only* two ways to keep someone in the non-honest minority from
changing your program without asking are:

1) Don't release your program or
2) Make your program completely undesirable

Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc