Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

Fortran Programming Language

g95 on a Mac


I installed g95 on a Mac (OS X) but it failed to compile a test program,
with a message about missing 'as'.  I'm guessing that's an assembler.
Can someone tell me what is involved in using g95 on a Mac, besides
downloading the tar file?  The g95 site doesn't seem to have any extra
instructions.

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I installed g95 on a Mac (OS X) but it failed to compile a test program,
> with a message about missing 'as'.  I'm guessing that's an assembler.
> Can someone tell me what is involved in using g95 on a Mac, besides
> downloading the tar file?  The g95 site doesn't seem to have any extra
> instructions.

Me too! My boss has just tasked me with getting code to compile on his G4 Mac. I
initially tried the Absoft compiler (v8.0), but gave up in disgust when it
spewed out error messages with line numbers beyond the end of the source file
(anyone seen this before)?

Now I want to get g95 working; so I'll be just as grateful as Gib for any
answers to his question.

cheers,

Rich

Gib Bogle <g.bo@auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> wrote:
> I installed g95 on a Mac (OS X) but it failed to compile a test program,
> with a message about missing 'as'.  I'm guessing that's an assembler.
> Can someone tell me what is involved in using g95 on a Mac, besides
> downloading the tar file?  The g95 site doesn't seem to have any extra
> instructions.

Yep, that would be the assembler. You need to first install the
developer tools, aka XCode. It should be on your installation DVD. Or
you can downlaod possibly more current versions from the Apple Developer
site  at... hmm... though I had it bookmarked, but I guess not...
connect.apple.com. It requires that you sign up, but it is free to do
so.

You'll need the dev tools first for pretty much any compiler for any
language.

--
Richard Maine                    | Good judgement comes from experience;
email: last name at domain . net | experience comes from bad judgement.
domain: summertriangle           |  -- Mark Twain

Thanks Richard.  When I installed g95 on my W2k machine I think I just
downloaded and it worked, unless my memory is letting me down again.
The executable is g95-MinGW.exe.

BTW, this is not my Mac, it belongs to a biologist with whom I
collaborate.  In case he doesn't want to install the whole Xcode
package, is it possible to install a bare-bones subset?  I just need to
be able to build a couple of executables to run on his machine.

You only need to install cctools. There is a link on the G95 binaries
page (although its not the most recent version of cctools).

Al Greynolds
www.ruda.com

Questions on installing g95 are on-topic in a Fortran newsgroup (this
ain't comp.lang.c, thank goodness), but I think the best place to ask
such questions is the active Google Group http://groups.google.com/group/gg95
, where problems with installing g95 on a Mac have been discussed many
times. Possibly searching the archives of that group would answer the
questions. Joining that group requires only a free Google account.

awgreyno@earthlink.net wrote:
> You only need to install cctools. There is a link on the G95 binaries
> page (although its not the most recent version of cctools).

> Al Greynolds
> www.ruda.com

Thanks Al, that's what I was hoping to find.

Beliavsky wrote:
> Questions on installing g95 are on-topic in a Fortran newsgroup (this
> ain't comp.lang.c, thank goodness), but I think the best place to ask
> such questions is the active Google Group http://groups.google.com/group/gg95
> , where problems with installing g95 on a Mac have been discussed many
> times. Possibly searching the archives of that group would answer the
> questions. Joining that group requires only a free Google account.

I did find some posts about cctools on the gg95 group, but frankly I
found them a bit confusing.  I'm still not clear about which version of
cctools is OK to use.

The owner of the Mac installed Xcode, now g95 works as advertised.
Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc