Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

Python Programming Language

is it possible to remove the ':' symbol in the end of lines starting with 'if', 'while' etc?


I don't know to which forum should I post the message
I hope someone related to the Python kernel development will read &
consider the idea
I'm (a former? meanwhile not sure) MATLAB user & it's very annoing
typing each time for example
while i:
     print i
     ...
instead of
while i
    print i
    ...
of course if all is written in a single line ':' I guess should not be
omited

Thank you for you suggestions.
Sorry my bad English.

WBR, Dmitrey

open@ukr.net wrote:
> I don't know to which forum should I post the message
> I hope someone related to the Python kernel development will read &
> consider the idea
> I'm (a former? meanwhile not sure) MATLAB user & it's very annoing
> typing each time for example
> while i:
>      print i
>      ...
> instead of
> while i
>     print i
>     ...
> of course if all is written in a single line ':' I guess should not be
> omited

Won't happen. There have been plenty of discussions about this, and while
technically not necessary, the colon is usually considered "optically
pleasing". So - it will stay.

See - one of a bazillion - discussions here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/d37...

Diez

On Feb 22, 9:49 am, open@ukr.net wrote:

Think on the bright side:

you have to type ":" at the beginning of loop and conditional blocks,
but you don't have to type "end"  at the end... you are still saving
two strokes...
;-))

On 22 Feb, 11:49, open@ukr.net wrote:

Hi

Just a thought...
I've also just made the jump from Matlab to Python (or am straddling
the two at the moment!) and I find the ':' really useful for
delimiting blocks of code. Took a while to get used to it but I reckon
it helps me explain my code to non-programmers as they can see the
blocks I use.

Al

> Think on the bright side:

> you have to type ":" at the beginning of loop and conditional blocks,
> but you don't have to type "end"  at the end... you are still saving
> two strokes...
> ;-))

No, there no profits:
instead of 'end' I must type <shift>, ':' and backspace in the end of
block - so 3 keypress are used, same as 'end'
Of course Python is much more better in syntax vs C/C++ but I would
prefere tcl-style or caml-style
x = fun arg1 arg2 ... argn
however, in tcl annoing things are 'set' and 'expr'
and in ocaml '<-' and 'let x = ... in' - too many keypress instead of
'='
but their func calls still is better then fun(arg1, arg2, ..., argn)
and help _something_  or which _something_ in MATLAB is much more
better then help(_something_) in Python
the only bad thing in MATLAB (+absence of x = fun arg1 arg2 ... argn
call) is indexing arrays by () instead of [] - holding shift key
dozens times per day is very unconvinient.
And in Python vs MATLAB is very unconvinient arrays creation.

I'm very afraid of proposition that I noticed at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode
Base multidimensional array type for Python core
Student: KarolLangner
Mentor: Travis E. Oliphant
I don't know about anyone mentioned but I'm not sure this is a good
idea to hire ordinary student for such important thing.
And writing 'dimarray(...)' dozens times per day is much more bad than
x = matrix('...'), x = array([...]) or, of course, MATLAB-style x = [1
2 3]
I guess it should 10 times more think about the array and make it once
and forever - Python already has some array-related classes and all
with syntax much more bad than MATLAB. I guess there should be only 2
types: one for storing data in convinient way without reallocating
(something like C++ STL vector<>) and one for quick calculations
(something like C++ valarray).
WBR, Dmitrey.

Its a compromise in that python has way-less of this kind of cruft than
a lot of other languages.

James

Tip: don't try learning perl.

I agree the colon is largely redundant, but it's not unreasonable.

On 2007-02-22, tac-tics <tactic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tip: don't try learning perl.

> I agree the colon is largely redundant, but it's not
> unreasonable.

A certain amount of redundancy in languages (artificial or
natrual) is a good thing.  It makes error detection and
correction far easier.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I think I'm
                                  at               having an overnight
                               visi.com            sensation right now!!

 "Diez B. Roggisch" <d@nospam.web.de> wrote:

> open@ukr.net wrote:

8< ---------------- request to remove colon ----------------------

> Won't happen. There have been plenty of discussions about this, and while
> technically not necessary, the colon is usually considered "optically
> pleasing". So - it will stay.

It is also used by text editors to make indentation of the next line happen...

- Hendrik

Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc