Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

Ruby Programming Language

Rubygems problem on Mac OS X, please help


I finally got around to installing the latest Ruby version onto my Mac
instead of using the one that comes with Mac OS X. I followed the
instructions here:

http://maczealots.com/tutorials/rubyosa/

Doing so, I installed readline 5.2, then built and installed Ruby
1.8.6, then installed rubygems 0.9.3. (Notice that in the link above
it says to install readline 5.1 and rubygems 0.9.2, but I just
downloaded the latest versions at the time.

Everything seems to work fine, except rubygems. Whenever I issue a
command, I get an error about an uninitialized constant. E.g.:

> gem list -r

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NameError)
    uninitialized constant Gem::SourceInfoCache

> gem install rubyosa

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NameError)
    uninitialized constant Gem::RemoteInstaller

Can somebody help me?

Before you ask, yes I installed everything into /usr/local, and yes I
made sure /usr/local/bin is first in my path. Doing "which ruby" and
"ruby -v" both confirm that I am running ruby 1.8.6 from /usr/local/
bin. Are there any other environment variables I need to set to enable
rubygems?

Karl von Laudermann wrote:
> Everything seems to work fine, except rubygems. Whenever I issue a
> command, I get an error about an uninitialized constant. E.g.:

>> gem list -r

> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NameError)
>     uninitialized constant Gem::SourceInfoCache

>> gem install rubyosa
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NameError)
>     uninitialized constant Gem::RemoteInstaller

> Can somebody help me?

Odd, RubyGems isn't finding some of its own libraries.  If the files
were missing, I would have expected an error on the require.  Instead it
looks as if the files are found, but the contents are not there.
Interesting.

Try the following commands in irb:

   require 'rubygems/remote_installer' # makes sure the file can be
found
   Gem::RemoteInstaller                # makes sure the class was loaded
   $:.find { |d| File.exist? File.join(d,
'rubygems/remote_installer.rb') }
                                       # Finds the location of the
require file

The last command should show the location of the file containing the
RemoteInstaller class.  Open the file and make sure it contains a proper
definition for RemoteInstaller.

--
-- Jim Weirich

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

On May 28, 12:24 pm, Jim Weirich <j@weirichhouse.org> wrote:

Thank you! That was the problem: for some reason, the file
remote_installer.rb was present, but empty (zero bytes in size). But
there was also a file called remote_installer.1.rb that had the
correct contents. Likewise, source_info_cache.rb was empty, and its
contents were in source_info_cache.1.rb. I have no idea why this
happened, and all the other files seem fine. Fixing this solved the
problem.

Thanks again!

Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc