Home     |     .Net Programming    |     cSharp Home    |     Sql Server Home    |     Javascript / Client Side Development     |     Ajax Programming

Ruby on Rails Development     |     Perl Programming     |     C Programming Language     |     C++ Programming     |     IT Jobs

Python Programming Language     |     Laptop Suggestions?    |     TCL Scripting     |     Fortran Programming     |     Scheme Programming Language


 
 
Cervo Technologies
The Right Source to Outsource

MS Dynamics CRM 3.0

TCL(Tool Command Language) Scripting

Building Tcl on Linux/Itanium


I did an --enable-64bit and checking the flyby I see this:

checking if 64bit support is requested... yes
checking if 64bit Sparc VIS support is requested... no
checking system version... Linux-2.6.18-8.el5
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking if compiler accepts -m64 flag... no
configure: warning: 64bit support being disabled -- don't know magic
for this platform
checking for build with symbols... no
checking for required early compiler flags...  _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
checking for 64-bit integer type... using long

How do I enable 64bit support for ia64?

Also, in what cases would you want to pass "--enable-shared"?

Robert

Robert Hicks wrote:
> I did an --enable-64bit and checking the flyby I see this:

> checking if compiler accepts -m64 flag... no
> configure: warning: 64bit support being disabled -- don't know magic
> for this platform
        ...
> How do I enable 64bit support for ia64?

If gcc on that machine doesn't accept -m64, then you need an update.  We
use gcc 3.2.3, and it has been a standard opt for years.

> Also, in what cases would you want to pass "--enable-shared"?

That's the default.

Jeff

On Jun 5, 4:32 pm, Jeff Hobbs <j@activestate.com> wrote:

We are using RHEL v5 but I will have to check the version of gcc to
make sure.

Robert

Robert Hicks schrieb:

Well, as Itanium is 64bit only, there is no such compiler switch.
Tcl's configure script does not know how to handle this architecture.

On the other hand, I compile Tcl/Tk 8.4.14 for Linux/Itanium on a
SLES 10 machine with gcc 4.1.0 for some weeks now and it seems to run
okay. My application's test-suite runs without failures, Tcl's shows
two failures which are due to my environment. There are a couple of
Tk tests failing, on which I haven't look closer at, however.

kind regards
--
Matthias Kraft
Software AG, Germany

Matthias Kraft wrote:
> There are a couple of
> Tk tests failing, on which I haven't look closer at, however.

It's fairly usual for some Tk tests to fail. They tend to be very
sensitive to your environment (and it's often hard to change this in any
meaningful way).

Donal.

That's funny - you are correct, although the docs do clearly state
support for -m64/-m32, it is not supported.  However, it is not correct
that Itanium is "64-bit only".  It is a true 64-bit chip, but you can
create 32-bit executables natively for it (at least on HP-UX IA64 you can).

> On the other hand, I compile Tcl/Tk 8.4.14 for Linux/Itanium on a
> SLES 10 machine with gcc 4.1.0 for some weeks now and it seems to run
> okay. My application's test-suite runs without failures, Tcl's shows
> two failures which are due to my environment. There are a couple of
> Tk tests failing, on which I haven't look closer at, however.

Yes, ActiveTcl is available for Linux-ia64 as part of our enterprise
distribution set.  We have had to tweak a few extensions to properly
support things, but the core should be in good shape.

Jeff

Jeff Hobbs schrieb:

>> Well, as Itanium is 64bit only, there is no such compiler switch.
>> Tcl's configure script does not know how to handle this architecture.

> That's funny - you are correct, although the docs do clearly state
> support for -m64/-m32, it is not supported.  However, it is not correct
> that Itanium is "64-bit only".  It is a true 64-bit chip, but you can
> create 32-bit executables natively for it (at least on HP-UX IA64 you can).

Well, when looking into the IA64 sub model options, there is no
-m64/-m32 documented (gcc 4.1.0). As far as I know the "32bit" mode
is special to HP-UX in that certain types are reset to the usual
length they have in a 32bit environment.

kind regards
--
Matthias Kraft
Software AG, Germany

Jeff Hobbs schrieb:

>> Well, as Itanium is 64bit only, there is no such compiler switch.
>> Tcl's configure script does not know how to handle this architecture.

> That's funny - you are correct, although the docs do clearly state
> support for -m64/-m32, it is not supported.  However, it is not correct
> that Itanium is "64-bit only".  It is a true 64-bit chip, but you can
> create 32-bit executables natively for it (at least on HP-UX IA64 you can).

Well, when looking into the IA64 sub model options, there is no
-m64/-m32 documented (gcc 4.1.0). As far as I know the "32bit" mode
is special to HP-UX in that certain types are reset to the usual
length they have in a 32bit environment.

kind regards
--
Matthias Kraft
Software AG, Germany

Add to del.icio.us | Digg this | Stumble it | Powered by Megasolutions Inc